We have all experienced swollen feet or ankles. This should not be regarded as a disorder, as it is merely the result of our daily walking and sitting ratio0g of fat. Sitting interferes with blood circulation and lymphatic activity in the pelvic region and legs. This leads to venous and lymphatic edema, which causes swelling on your feet.
What can we do for relief?
- People working standing should rest their feet for 5-10 minutes during the workday whenever needed. As should people with a desk job stand or walk around for 5-10 minutes after a certain time. This keeps our blood circulation going.
- Do stretching exercises or massage your feet gently.
- Move around more. A short walk to work or home strengthens the heart and improves blood circulation.
- Take care of your feet. For example, try to walk barefoot during summer. When sunbathing, soak your legs in cold water for a few minutes and lotion them.
- Go for peaceful bicycle rides. It strengthens your leg muscles and spine, and improves blood circulation.
- Swim. Swimming, especially swimming on your back, is beneficial and relaxing for your whole body.
- If your feet are swollen, you should avoid warm or hot baths, too big or tight footwear, direct sunlight, and intensive rubbing.
If you’ve tried all of the above tips and the situation hasn’t improved, consult a doctor. You might still be dealing with a medical condition.